The City of Nanaimo’s draft decorum guidelines were leaked to the Nanaimo Beacon today. The one-page document, first found in a manilla envelope taped to former councillor Gord Fuller’s car, outlines a number of changes to meeting procedure.
Upon legal advice, we are not able to disclose how we came into possession of the document, but Gord totally didn’t give it to us.
In the interests of full transparency, we have decided that this document is in the public interest and must be disclosed.
The guidelines read:
1. Anyone speaking out without having first called the Mayor “Captain Beefy” will be found out of order.
2. No more than three council members may shout at each other at any one time.
3. Expressions such as “Go fuck yourself,” will no longer be accepted during the primary business portion of the meeting. These comments should be reserved for the question period after members of the public address Council.
4. Only berry-flavoured vapes shall be permitted during business meetings.
5. The only acceptable discriminatory or defamatory comments will be those referring to a speaker’s race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or age.
— from a leaked City of Nanaimo policy document that Gord Fuller totally did not give us
It was a little more than a year ago when former City CAO Tracy Samra issued new guidelines for decorum in meetings.
City clerk Shiela Gurrie said the city does not comment on policy documents which have not yet been adopted by Council.
Council is set to vote on the policy at its next meeting.
With files from Gord Fuller