NANAIMO — “I’m just stunned. Astonished, really.”
That’s the reaction of local spear-maker William Ackron, who, for the third year in a row, was unable to sell his VHS copy of Rocky IV at the Nanaimo car trunk sale.
The annual event brought together 100 vendors today — each selling used items from the trunks of their car in the Country Club Centre parking lot.
While most vendors seemed happy with the day’s results, Ackron was clearly disappointed.
“Rocky IV is a fucking masterpiece. Dolph Lundgren is in it, for Christ’s sake,” he told The Beacon. “And I have it on a mint-condition VHS tape. I don’t think you can even get better quality than VHS. Betamax, maybe.”
Other items Ackron was unable to sell:
- A mug with the phrase “World’s Best Dad”
- A stone carving of a cat (or perhaps a horse)
- A pair of plastic scissors with unknown residue
- A rock painted like a slightly smaller rock
- “Taxidermy for Dummies” book
- A small remote control for a martial aid
Critical reception to Rocky IV was mixed, but the film was a huge success at the box office, earning $300 million.